Two seater sofa- a la grain sack

I found this two seater sofa:

IMG_7476

Yes, it is hideous.  But the frame is in good shape.

IMG_7477

So…off with the old fabric!!

I use this great staple remover which makes this job go a bit easier. And took off the old fabric and the guts of this piece- right to its bones!

IMG_7478

IMG_7479So the  frame was in great shape as well as the webbing.  I started out by painting the frame with Primer red.  It took two coats  and then I waxed and lightly distressed to show bits of the white poking through.

IMG_7482

 

Yes, that is an Annie Sloan brush.  Yes, it is expensive.  Yes, it is totally worth the price.  If you paint a lot like I do- it is worth the money.  They hold a lot of paint and are really great to use.  This one is a medium sized.  It is a bit heavy- I would suggest getting the smallest one- I find that my arm starts to tire out quickly because of the weight of it.

IMG_7485This is after one coat.  Reds are notoriously finicky to work with.  It is the nature of the pigment.  But after two coats it looked really great.

IMG_7495

After the frame was complete—time for the guts!  The original chair had four layers of foam but I removed the top layer and added a layer of coconut husks to the base as well as a layer of batting to the top.

Then I made sure the stripe was down the centre and started stapling.

IMG_7497

IMG_7498

IMG_7499

IMG_7501

IMG_7502

And once the fabric was stapled on I trimmed the excess.

And now I am at a stand still because I need to figure out which kind of trim I want.  I was thinking of sewing a double piping…..but that is a lot of work.  So I am still thinking.

I hope to have it done this week, fingers crossed!!