I am a fabric hoarder. I especially like linen. And in my opinion Polish linen is some of the best out there.
I started with this very ugly chair:
And loads of scraps.
So I had the idea of sewing a patchwork slipcover but on a larger scale!
So I measured and sewed….
And made sure the cover fit really well.
And then I added a little box pleat trim to finish it off.
And then I painted the legs and this happened:
This is one of the hazards of painting old furniture. You simply never know what you are going to get. I painted the wood with Old White and red leached through. Not sure what it is exactly- probably from the dark brown stain.
So I tried to seal the colour in with lacquer and repainted with Country Grey but it still showed through- not as much but you can still see the red.
And this is the result!
In the close up you can still see the red coming through the Country Grey but I am OK with it- there is a red stripe in the linen so it doesn’t actually look like a mistake.
And I think the pleating adds a cute detail…..now I only have three more to sew!