Firstly, the toy box.
Here is the red paint on the wood:
You can see it is pretty vibrant! Emperor’s Silk is one of those colours where a little goes a long way. I like this colour with dark wax:
I really do prefer this colour with dark wax. It calms it down quite a lot without taking away from the vibrancy of the red.
And then I upholstered the top.
And then I added buttons:
I am a huge fan of buttons in upholstered furniture. It is a simple detail that really gives character to any piece.
The chicken fabric is from Annie Sloan’s fabric collection. She has wonderful fabrics that are quite substantial and can be used for upholstery, pillows and drapery treatments. All her fabrics are cottons and linens and are manufactured in either France or Belgium.
And this is the whole piece finished!
The lady that owns this came in last week as I was working on it. I asked her what she thought of it, she said it was lovely, whose is it. After I told her it was hers she almost fell over with excitement!—which makes me happy. She wanted to take it on the spot but it wasn’t finished yet!
Now for the Barley twist chair.
The trim on this is not working the way I wanted. I bought some from a shop and when I got it home the colours didn’t work at all. (of course I didn’t bring a fabric sample with me.) So I decided to sew my own double piping/welting. I won’t give a tutorial for that- there are loads out there already.
So, I sewed the double piping and glued it to the chair. It isn’t perfect but I think it looks ok.
There are still loads of threads I need to cut and bits of glue. I tried to hide some the imperfections with the upholstery tacks.
No matter how hard I try I can’t get the upholstery tacks to line up straight. I think I am just going to have to go with it. And of course I am going to cut off all those threads!!