How is this for new and exciting??

First a little back story.

I used to teach colour in home staging and furniture placement for home staging for a company in Warsaw.  The lady that owns the company is trying her hardest to bring the concept to Poland so she has done a few stories on morning television programs (like Canada AM) as well as some radio interviews.

When I opened my shop I stopped teaching but we have remained in contact.

So anyway, this past Friday she emailed me asking if I wanted to paint a wall closet for a new show she is doing.  Well, of course I do!  This is the pilot show for a new program about home staging homes and apartments in Poland.

Today we did our first filming.  I may not make it past the cutting room floor but the experience has been thrilling just the same.  And at least my work will be featured –which is key!

So the apartment is a pre war building with three metre high ceilings and original herringbone hardwood floors.  It is amazing but it is also a mess.  The kitchen is about 50 years old and even though the windows are large- the view is the building across the street or a tiny court yard filled with bird crap.

I am including a few photos, first is the massive wall closet:

Sorry for the phone photos- I have actually taken a photography course but haven’t had the time to put it to use!

This closet, as you can see, extends from floor to ceiling- it is a monster.  The client also doesn’t want to remove it–this is one of the issues in the episode, so I am going to paint it. We were filmed talking about colours (yes, in Polish) and the fact that I have no white- a little added drama for the show 🙂

In this photo you can also see the floor- which, except for the slope, is really quite nice.  All original.

The camera man and host.  It really is quite interesting filming a program.  Particularly when you have to do a few takes for one sentence!

I also proposed the painting of the chandelier.  Since this is a program about home staging the concept is to do all these changes with a minimal budget- the chandelier will be super after painting–the lightbulb is quite curious, however.

The fireplace which is made from stone, it actually is the strangest thing- it looks and feels like cheap particle board but it is actually stone.  The top portion will be drywall to the ceiling- that is what the discussion is about here.

The glass is being removed from the monster closet in the back, but have a look at these doors.  They are really great.  Unfortunately, they will be painted- I would love to see these doors stripped of the layers and layers of paint and brought back to life- they certainly don’t make doors like this anymore.

This is the filming of the host talking about her colour choice being painted on the wall.

So the show airs on the 25th of December- pretty good slot!  I don’t know if I will be in it, maybe just my back while I paint the monster- but that is good for me!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

The restyle of the restyle

First of all I must apologize for the poor photos.  I have taken these with my phone.  The good news is that tomorrow I am taking a week end photography course with hopes of improving my pictures.

Anyway.

I am painting and staining a table for a client as well as painting and changing the fabric of the seats of six chairs.

This is how the chair originally looked like:

I don’t think it is Ikea but it is something similar.  Typical flat pack furniture.

This is how the chair came to me:

I am pretty certain the fabric is Ikea. I removed the red fabric and the plaid was hiding underneath.

So I painted the wood in ASCP Country Grey.  Great colour.  It is a true beige- with no hint of yellow.  It works well with everything.

My client had already bought the fabric for the chair at Ikea so I just stapled it on.  I was quite shocked this was Ikea fabric- it doesn’t scream Ikea.  I do like Ikea but I tend to stay away from their fabrics just because they are very distinguishable.

And this is the result:

I think it looks pretty good!  I am refinishing a birch table for this lady.  I have painted the legs in Old White and stained the top in a light oak colour.  If anybody has ever stained birch before—you know it can be a bit frustrating because the stain doesn’t evenly take……that is another story- but it all worked out!

 

 

The moving process…

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel!  Everything is moved in, shelves are up, lights are installed- painting is complete.  Now on to the organization!

I have discovered that a shop like mine is quite difficult to arrange and decorate because the stock is not regular.  I always have different pieces of furniture in different shapes and sizes so it can be quite challenging trying to fit everything so that people can actually see it!!

Here are a few photos of the process:

 

 

 I am not complaining by any means!  I am so lucky that this business experiment has been successful!